The Ginkgo Pages Forum - Blog

Welcome, this blog belongs to my website The Ginkgo Pages about the tree Ginkgo biloba. - Cor Kwant
Go to search + archive.

follow me on twitter Follow me on Twitter

December 04, 2006

Ginkgo at exposed site Chesapeake Bay?

I live in a very exposed site on the Chesapeake Bay, Maryland, USA. Winter winds out of the north and summer winds from the south strike the property unimpeded and exceed 40 knots several times a year. I'd like to plant a couple ginkgo bilobas but worry that, with their height, they won't stand up to the blows. Any thoughts?

1 Comments:

At 12/10/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not know about the wind knocking them over, but I have seen the tops of tall exposed Ginkgos (and tops of native trees too) frozen to death by winter northeasters at the Chesapeake Bay. It may be due to freeze drying when the soil is frozen and the roots cannot bring water to the top of the tree (even with no leaves).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home